Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Routines and resources

Well, the school assessment is still dragging on, so it'll probably be January before there's anything recommended or concluded. In the meantime Rosie plays by herself at recess: "As usual," she says when asked. She feels a little lonely throughout the day, she adds. Sometimes she tells me that she plays with one of the kindergarten children who is her friend, but I'm not sure if this is imaginary or not.

There was a garbled tale of the school psychologist getting her to destroy her imaginary friends in some therapy session, so I've been trying to get hold of him to hear what this means. If it's true, I'll be pretty damn ticked off. She's quite clear on her imaginary friends being imaginary and if it helps her get through the day, good for her. It's adaptive.

We've worked a massage into the going-to-bed routine, which seems to help settle her down for the night. "Ow," she said tonight. "Don't press too hard over my radius."

"Your what?" I asked.

"Radius," she said. "The smaller bone in the arm."

"Yes, OK," I said. "Are you memorizing all the bones?"

"Yes," she giggled.

"Good for you," I said.

"Make sure my blanket covers my femurs," Rosie said.

"Oh, your femurs are well-covered," I said. "I'm just trying to tuck in your phalanges."

Much laughter.

A few days ago, someone uploaded a rather great talk by Temple Grandin to YouTube.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bgEAhMEgGOQ Highly recommend it!

No comments: