Thursday, February 14, 2008

Vitamins... hm...

Based on a comment I'd read on a forum (you can see the probable mistake here), I wondered if B-vitamins and fish oil would help Rosie focus and settle down a bit. After one day of a megavitamin B and that popular fish oil I can't bring to mind right now, she was incredibly easily frustrated and regressive emotionally. I mean, yow.

Now, that could be overdosing the poor kid on B vitamins or it could be total overstimulation due to a play we went to (not the symphony, another event), but in any case it was a marked difference. Vitamin deficiencies - this was the kind of thing I was hoping to get her pediatrician to help with, but no. When we saw him last week, it was pretty much, "Well, congratulations, she has Asperger's, she'll be fine, here's a list of therapists." Well, crap. Of course she'll be fine, but I know I have vitamin deficiencies that make me muddy-headed if I don't keep up on the supplements, so knowing if she does too would be damn helpful I would think. I thought since he was a bloody researcher, he'd have some ideas on best things to do. Bah!

A friend of mine says I expect this cooperative collaboration from people that just isn't there most of the time. That is probably true. I do sort of expect that.

2 comments:

K Allrich said...

I wonder if it was something in the vitamin- gluten, coloring, or flavoring? I know if I take something with one of my allergens it makes me feel irritable.

RuthX said...

Hm! I'll have to check into that, thanks! We got the vitamins from Trader Joe's, which reduces the chance of problematic ingredients... at least I think. We're not doing GFCF diet at this point, though we're thinking it over.