Friday, March 14, 2008

In the Swing (or maybe the swim) of Things

Well, we've spent the last few weeks really getting into the day-to-day and week-to-week of homeschooling, and we're starting to put other plans in motion. Finally! There are still some hitches with the schooling schedule and timing, but I think we'll be able to work these out. We're also trying to meet new friends, start to work on identifying emotions, and have been talking together about some sensory issues.

Rose has had one playdate with a new friend who also has Asperger's. It was a blast. We went to the city zoo with him and his mother the other day and had a great time. The kids ran about holding hands and helped one another with fears (like noise and animals). Now they're agitating to go to a larger zoo together (one with a better crocodilian selection), but of course this takes more planning. Rosie's working on learning typing, since handwriting is so frustrating, and she's making fast progress, so she should be able to email her new friend soon.

We've talked about some sensory issues together too - Rose and I watched a video of Temple Grandin's together and the idea of the cattle squeezer just lit her on fire. She's extremely excited and wants to write to Dr. Grandin and talk to her about squeezing. I found plans for a squeeze machine on Dr. Grandin's website (well, one of them), but it's a bit more than I think we can manage to build right now. I was hoping for something simpler and perhaps slightly less intense that can be used at home and not necessarily 'under the direct supervision' of an OT. We might try a weighted blanket first.

I've ordered an exercise ball so that Rosie can sit on it and bounce a bit when doing schoolwork. We'll see if that helps her to sit for longer periods. Plus, Rosie's asked for chew toys - I looked up special sensory chewies at various websites and described them to her, but then she asked if she could just have a doggie chew toy with a lot of small nubbles and a squeak. I can't think why not - I mean other than my initial reaction ("dog toy!"). I imagine I can find one safely made to chew for a person - so we'll try that this weekend.

Things are advancing nicely!

No comments: