Monday, November 26, 2007

school difficulties

Sometimes I don't know if I'm doing the right thing. After a week off for T-day, Rose cried so much when we tried to get her up to go to school that we let her stay at home. I missed a day of work. She hates school - alienated from other kids, stressed by "too many tests," time limits on work periods and by a noisy classroom - and because she's also very bright, utterly bored and frustrated by the everyday grind of school.

"I hate the stupid natural resources," she said. "There aren't any natural resources in school. Why can't we go to a real forest? I'd be able to see it much better." Er, good point. I tried to point out some of the natural resources near our home, but "That was last month!"

She also feels like homework is like school chasing her home - more stress just when she's reached her refuge. Well, it is, I can't disagree. She wants to be homeschooled, and we've been thinking that we'll get to that point sometime this year. I'd rather it was sooner, but I've been holding out hope that the school district's assessment of her will be helpful - in what way, I don't know. If I think I can do a damn sight better 'equivalent education' at home, then what is the point? Counseling? Resources?

Rose did some great diagrams of an idea she had for a human-powered helicopter today - left, right, top, bottom views and a closeup view. I loved them. "I can tell you're happy," she said. "How?" I asked. "Your mouth is smiling a look at me," she replied.

No comments: