Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Reasonable Explanations

A few posts back or maybe last year, I mentioned this thing I have where I can't think of an object without thinking of the process that created it. It's likewise with other processes, so I'm completely sympathetic to Rosie's need to clearly understand exactly how something works, and how it can paralyze her if she doesn't have that understanding.

Case in point: sleeping with the light off. After some alarm over 'the dark' completely typical of most kids, we'd gotten in the habit of leaving the hallway light on when Rosie went to bed. Problem is, she has trouble getting to and staying asleep because it's a bit hard to wind down. Yesterday, I told her that I was going to turn the hall light off.

"What? No! I always have it on!"

"It'll help you sleep if I turn it off."

"NO! I don't want it off! Don't touch it!" Shrieking.

"It'll help you sleep! You know how you have trouble sleeping?"

"NO! NO! It won't! I want it on!" Hysteria.

"Look... the fewer photons from the light that strike your optic nerve, the less your pineal gland will be stimulated and you'll sleep better."

Silence. "What?"

"Photons from the light bulb strike your optic nerve and stimulate the pineal gland in your brain, and the pineal gland regulates sleep."

"Oh. Well, turn it off, then."

Asleep in minutes.

No comments: