Friday, November 28, 2008

Post-Turkey Reflection

On the principle that I should not have to medicate myself to get through a holiday, we opted out of hosting or attending a family gathering this year. The most pleasant Thanksgivings I remember have been ones where we have enjoyed the holiday in some alternative fashion - turkey sandwiches and a bonfire, going to an amusement park, etc. We chose the amusement park option this year and had a pretty good time. My older daughter, who had to work and so stayed home, reported that my family members showed up at our house anyway, ate the turkey we had cooked for lunch, badmouthed us for a while, and left, but hey - at least Rosie and her dad and I weren't there.

I love the hypocrisy. It's OK, apparently, for my family members to opt out of attending stressful large family gatherings, but it's not OK for me to opt out of hosting a smaller, though equally stressful one.

Rosie rode the kiddie rollercoasters over and over, until I noticed she was toewalking and looking a little wild in the eye, and figured we needed to decelerate a bit. She had a good time.

No comments: