Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sensory Issues... Weighted Blankets and Foam

I had to read the "sleep problems" questions several times over the last few weeks while filling out assessment forms for the IEP before realizing that maybe the difficulty Rosie has getting to sleep is actually a "sleep problem" and not just a kid who hates going to bed. So that's what all that complaining about the bed being uncomfortable was probably about! A combination of sensory issues and a busy mind, I think. I knew she was sincere about being uncomfortable and I was starting to think that we had a 'princess and the pea' situation going; I couldn't find a thing wrong with the bed and it's fairly new.

After getting Rosie a two-inch tempur-pedic foam mattress topper (set of two at Overstock.com! what a bargain!), she's been able to relax better when trying to sleep. It hasn't solved the problem completely, though, so when I ran across the weighted blanket idea a little while ago it sounded ideal. It looks as though these are really relaxing and helpful for autistic folks and kids with ADHD. It sounds pretty snuggly - heck, I want one.

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a weighted blanket or try to construct one myself. Most of the commercially made blankets seem to be filled with poly beads, which seem as though they'd be unwieldy to work with; my aunt suggested drapery weights, which come either in long strings or chains, or metal shapes prepackaged in a sewable fabric. Drapery weights might be a little stiff and difficult to wash, though. My aunt suggested sewing pockets into the top of the blanket so they'd be removable, but who wants velcro or other lumpy fastenings in a blanket that's meant to be soft and soothing?

No comments: